5 Effective Tips to Keep Your Kitchen Pest Free
Pests love the kitchen. It is an ideal place for them to lurk around and sometimes, build nests because they are attracted to food droppings, oil residues on walls and floors, and the cooking smells.
This is a frustrating problem for homeowners but you don’t necessarily need to call a professional pest control service just yet. You can remove pest from kitchen with a few simple hacks and regular cleaning. Doing these will help you keep a pest free kitchen.
Why Are Pests Harmful?
Some people may be too lazy to deal with pests and think that they can just leave them alone. This is not a wise decision. Pests like cockroaches, rodents, and flies can contaminate foods and spread bacteria, putting your family at risk of many diseases. Plus, they are very annoying and if you work from home, it will be difficult to concentrate with flies buzzing around or roaches passing by every now and then.
Common House Pests
- Cockroaches – They are simply gross and it can cause you anxiety at night, thinking they might crawl into the bed – which happens sometimes. Some may even leave you with a disgusting red and inflamed roach bite that itches and burns for days. Did you know that roaches can leave 33 kinds of bacteria include E coli and salmonella? Their droppings may also trigger allergies which can be deadly to some kids.
- Rodents – These sharp-toothed disease carriers are small but terrible. They spread salmonella bacteria among many others and may even bring in other smaller pests into your home like ticks and fleas. Rodents can also damage some parts of your home because they chew on wood and electrical wires which can be dangerous. They would make themselves feel right at home as soon as they move in so it’s important to drive them away as soon as possible.
- Flies – You may have fruit flies or the bigger house flies or both and it is the most frustrating thing in the world. The biggest problem with these pests is that they multiply so fast, laying eggs on moist surfaces like your trash bin and sometimes, in places that you cannot easily find.
- Pantry Pests – These tend to lurk around the pantry where you store ingredients like flour, spices, and candies. There are various types of pantry pests including beetles, moths, and ants.
Keeping Your Kitchen Pest Free
Here are 5 things you can do to remove pests and prevent them from coming back.
- Do a Thorough Cleaning
First, clean your home thoroughly. Vacuum and deep clean your carpet, empty the trash, and make sure to include tight corners and spaces in your cleaning. You should also wipe kitchen walls from oil residues and thoroughly clean the stove and oven.
- Find Moist Areas and Dry Them Up
Check for leaks or any stagnant water in the house. These are the areas where some pests breed and lay their eggs. Cockroaches love moist and dark places. So dry them up and sanitize the area with an all-around cleaner.
- Use Homemade Solutions to Get Rid of Pests
To eliminate the pests, you can use a homemade solution of equal parts baking soda and powdered sugar. Spray the mixture around the areas where the pests are hiding or directly on them. It’s a great killer and works well.
- Seal Holes and Openings On Doors and Windows
Seal any cracks that you find and make sure they are properly caulked. This will prevent small critters from entering your home again.
- Schedule Regular Inspections
To make sure that your home does not get infested again, it’s good to have a professional inspection periodically. This will make you aware of any serious problems like termites and prevent them from spreading.